Translate

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Scholarly Research and the Pass Protection

Working with defensive backs is reminiscent of scholarly research. This week, as I was coaching a safety to not commit to every move and Barry Sanders jive movement (fake out for you non-football people) I was noticing a pattern close to a student researching a topic. When the wide receiver would snap quickly side to side, the safety would bite on the first move and get burned. Much like research, one has to be careful to commit to an idea, especially a first or dissonant idea.
Much like a talented safety, one must move with research without committing to hard before the research commits in a certain direction. Aristotle said that "It is the mark of an educated man to entertain a thought without accepting it." I am not on track with everything Aristotle said, but this I like. In fact, it is the job of an academic to explore a plethora of ideas, even when they challenge, refute, or affirm their worldview or any beliefs they currently hold.
In research I am currently doing, I am finding a more rich understanding of the topic by exploring a diverse field scholars. Non of my views have been radically changed, but I have found deeper vision of the topic. Still, I feel the urge to move at every jive of every scholar who presents a plausible argument, thus I must be careful to commit. This, I believe, is what makes academic "playmakers". Being able to follow the research as it leads without being burned by quick ideas.
Here is one of the best burners that ever played the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMzyMglPvw8
enjoy!
Also enjoy reading a number sources with mastery of reason and a wide vision of research! For a list of great books on the topic I have been researching, hit me up on facebook (too mnay for here!)
"Information is not knowledge"- Albert Einstein  

No comments:

Post a Comment