Translate

Sunday, September 22, 2013

A little Homesick, A Little Happy

Summer is leaving us now. The fall is coming rapidly. It looks a lot like its sibling summer, but a little cooler at night. 

We have been able to explore a little more of the Algarve, our southern Portuguese region we call casa for now. There are so many palm trees. This place is home to many tourists and retirees. But it holds a vast. albeit dwindling population of diverse Algarvian people. We meet new people every day, some friendly, some not. 

Traveling is an interesting thing. When you spend a bit of time somewhere, things become less noticeable. Sure, we still see the beautiful landscape and cultural cues, but they are less romantic and more real. We are forced to deal with them as a part of our everyday life, not just observing them as onlookers, but engaging them as we try to live, for awhile, overseas. We love getting to know the people and learning how they tick, who they are. Quirks are funny things, its hard to tell whether they are things that should change or just things. People have them, and so do cultures. 

Standing in an office for almost six hours to get paperwork done seems a bit excessive, but hey, who's counting (oh that's right, me). Seeing friends dealing with local politicians is an odd position. America is no stranger to politics, but here... 

We are strangers in a foreign land, even if it seems Western enough, it's not America. Sometimes, it is a struggle to think of friends and colleagues in Africa, Asia, etc. It seems as if our cross-cultural experience is not as rad as real as theirs. It's weird to admit that, but it's true. Life can so easily become a contest, watching others and comparing experiences. But we lose something in comparison. We forget to live where our feet stand, to be present where we are. Sometimes forgotten people are not poor (international standards) or starving. Sometimes they are just forgotten, right there in front of us. Different. But not radically enough to act.

We have experienced the pessimistic culture that Portugal has a reputation for. We have experienced the bureaucracy as well.  We have experienced the impatience of Portuguese people trying to deal with people trying to learn Portuguese. Every culture has its dark side, or quirks, or whatever you want to call them. 

To be quite honest, I miss "home" on days like today. I am worried about sick family. I see friends carrying on with life. I am worried about our future when we get back, about school, about work. I want to secure entry into grad school. I desire to be accepted and respected by my professors, people who taught me to love education.  Even though my grammar may stress rhetorical function, I have become a lover  of education.  I desire to become a better academic. I worry about friends here and how they see me. Will we remain friends after we leave? Have we made a lasting impact on their lives?

But with all of this, I trust My Father in heaven, my redeemer.  He has been here for me, accepted me, blessed me, guided me. We are blessed with great friends here. We are learning about Portugal and Portuguese life in a beautiful place with beautiful people. 

Sometimes we need to stop thinking about what people think about us and live to be the people the world needs, regardless who notices or commends us for it. Inf act, there is one who deserves more attention than us, and we need to live out a life that gives Him attention. 

Maybe this is just a rant for this blog, for that I apologize, I am feeling a little homesick today. But if anyone is reading this, remember to be present where your feet stand. Notice this world around you. 
Home is neither here nor there. Home is within you, or home is nowhere at all.
-Hermann Hesse


No comments:

Post a Comment